PRO SOCCER NEWS AND RESOURCES FROM South Carolina AND BEYOND
- FRISCO, TX – The San Jose Earthquakes fell 2-1 to FC Dallas on Saturday evening at a sold-out Toyota Stadium to open the 2024 Major League Soccer seas… – MLS San Jose Earthquakes
- Erik Thommy's brilliant second-half goal helped Sporting Kansas City (0-0-1, 1 point) to a hard-earned 1-1 road draw against Houston Dynamo FC (0-0-0,… – MLS Sporting Kansas City
- FRISCO, Texas – FC Dallas (1-0-0, 3 points) defeated the San Jose Earthquakes (0-1-0, 0 points) by a score of 2-1 courtesy of a 94th-minute winner fro… – MLS FC Dallas
- Chester, Pa. – Chicago Fire FC (0-0-1, 1 point) earned a point on the road in the Club's first match of the season with a 2-2 tie against the Philadel… – MLS Chicago Fire FC
- ORLANDO, Fla. – Orlando City SC (0-0-1) drew CF Montréal (0-0-1) 0-0 on Saturday night at INTER&Co Stadium, kicking off its historic 10th season … – MLS Orlando City SC
- ORLANDO, Florida – In its first match of the 2024 season, CF Montréal earned a point on the road with a 0-0 draw against Orlando City SC on Satur… – MLS Club de Foot Montreal
- Audi Field – Washington, D.C.Player NotesForward Christian Benteke scored a hat-trick tonight with goals in the 34th minute, the 72nd minute, … – MLS D.C. United
- WASHINGTON, D.C. – The New England Revolution (0-1-0; 0 pts) fell to D.C. United, 3-1, on Saturday night at Audi Field in the 2024 MLS season opener. … – MLS New England Revolution
- CHESTER, Pa. – The Philadelphia Union kicked off the 2024 MLS season with a 2-2 draw against Chicago Fire FC Saturday night at Subaru Park. In the fir… – MLS Philadelphia Union
- Adilson Malanda scored off a corner early in the second half to secure three points for Charlotte FC on the opening day of the 2024 MLS season.Fir… – MLS Charlotte FC
- The Boys in Blue started the season with defeat in North Carolina on Saturday. The hosts took the lead in the 8th minute through Adilson Malanda. Matt… – MLS New York City FC
- The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) opened the 2024 season on Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 win over the Seattle Sounders in front of a capacity crow… – MLS Los Angeles FC
- LOS ANGELES – Sounders FC (0-1-0, 0 points) opened its 2024 Major League Soccer campaign with a 2-1 road loss to Los Angeles FC (1-0-0, 3 points) on S… – MLS Seattle Sounders FC
- LOS ANGELES – The LA Galaxy today announced the club's roster composition for the 2024 MLS season, which kicks off when the club plays host to Inter … – MLS LA Galaxy
- The Crew earned a 1-0 win against Atlanta United FC in today's 2024 season opener at Lower.com Field.The Black & Gold own a perfect 3-0 in home op… – MLS Columbus Crew SC
- Africa: CAF Champions LeagueNouadhibou 0 – 2 Mamelodi SundownsTP Mazembe 3 – 0 PyramidsGalaxy 0 – 1 Wydad CasablancaEtoile du Sahel 0 – 2 ES TunisYoung Africans 4 – 0 BelouizdadAlgeria: Ligue 1Kabylie 0 – 0 KhenchelaMC Oran 2 – 1 US SoufCS Constantine 3 – 1 ASO ChlefEl Bayadh 0 – 0 MC AlgerArgentina: Prim B MetroMidland 0 – 3 Argentino QuilmesCañuelas 2 – 1 ComunicacionesExcursionistas 1 – 0 Villa San CarlosAcassuso 0 – 2 FlandriaDeportivo Maipú 0 – 2 San Martín San JuanDefensores Unidos 0 – 0 Mitre Santiago d. EsteroDeportivo Madryn 0 – 0 Gimnasia y TiroDefensores […]
- Africa: CAF Champions LeagueAl Hilal Omdurman 0 – 0 Petro de LuandaMedeama 0 – 1 Al AhlyAustralia: New South Wales NPLSydney II 2 – 0 Manly UnitedBangladesh: Premier LeagueSheikh Jamal 2 – 1 Rahmatgonj MFSMohammedan Dhaka 2 – 2 Abahani DhakaBelgium: First Division ASporting Charleroi 0 – 1 GenkBolivia: LFPBIndependiente 1 – 1 Always ReadyBulgaria: First LeagueBotev Vratsa 1 – 2 Pirin BlagoevgradBotev Plovdiv 2 – 0 Etar VTBdin 0 – 1 Spartak VarnaColombia: Primera AOnce Caldas 1 – 2 Deportivo PereiraÁguilas Doradas 2 – 0 EnvigadoCroatia: 1. HNLLokomotiva Zagreb 1 – 1 OsijekDenmark: 1st DivisionHorsens 1 – 2 KoldingHelsingør […]
- Armenia: Premier LeagueNoah 1 – 1 UrartuShirak 1 – 0 BKMAAsia: AFC Champions LeagueAl Hilal 3 – 1 SepahanAl Ittihad 2 – 1 NavbahorBolivia: LFPBGualberto Villarroel SJ 2 – 2 Jorge WilstermannOriente Petrolero 0 – 2 BolívarRoyal Pari 0 – 1 Nacional PotosíBrazil: Copa do BrasilCianorte 0 – 3 CorinthiansReal Noroeste 1 – 4 CuiabáUnião Rondonópolis 1 – 3 Atlético GoianienseRio Branco 0 – 0 CRBÁguia de Marabá 3 – 2 CoritibaCameroon: Elite ONEFortuna Mfou 0 – 2 GazelleUnion Douala 2 – 1 Les AstresUMS de Loum 1 – 0 Victoria UnitedAPEJES Academy 0 – 0 Avion AcademyColombia: Primera ADeportes […]
- Even with Messi and other aging former Barcelona stars joining the ranks, MLS is getting younger
- A ruling by a European court has given some MLS owners revived hopes of leaving the U.S. Open Cup
- Federico is a different player to his father, Argentina legend Fernando, but they share some similarities on the pitch
- The Athletic has obtained the list of referee assignments for this weekend’s Major League Soccer games, which includes officials with widely varying degrees of experience. While some have been involved extensively in matches in the second and third divisions of the U.S. Soccer pyramid, others are making the leap from the uppermost levels of youth soccer. Some of the assistant referees have largely worked college games. MLS has been forced to play games with replacement officials after the Professional Referees Organization (PRO) could not come to terms with the Professional Soccer…
- The new looks across MLS this season conjure up everything from the streets to the stars
- The World Cup-winning goalkeeper discusses a difficult last few months at Spurs, the club's lack of trophies, and his move to MLS with LAFC
- Manchester United assistant Eric Ramsay has agreed a deal to become the new head coach of Minnesota United, sources briefed on the deal tell The Athletic. Ramsay is expected to depart his role at United for Minnesota after the Premier League side’s fixture against rivals Manchester City on March 3. The Athletic reported on Monday that Minnesota was closing in on naming Ramsay their head coach, and though it has not been finalised yet, the deal is nearing completion. Minnesota kick off their 2024 MLS season on Saturday against Austin FC. They face reigning champions Columbus Crew on March…
- The designated players arriving in time for match week one and those who may not
- Argentina will play two friendlies in the United States in March after their planned games in China were cancelled due to Lionel Messi’s absence in Hong Kong. The 2022 World Cup winners will play El Salvador at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on March 22, before facing Nigeria at the LA Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles on March 26. El Salvador replace the Ivory Coast, who Argentina was originally scheduled to play in one of the two friendlies. The two friendlies against Nigeria and Ivory Coast in China were cancelled this month after Messi failed to appear in an Inter […]
- Inter Miami put their disappointing preseason tour of Asia behind them with a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in their MLS regular-season opener Wednesday. Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez each provided an assist on the night. Suárez hobbled and battled for 90 minutes in his MLS debut. All eyes will be on Inter Miami this season with MLS Cup or bust expectations the only measure of success for the Fort Lauderdale-based club. With Messi now fully fit after an adductor injury limited his preseason action, Inter Miami was the aggressor in the first half. They dominated possession as a […]
- Garber took aim at the PSRA and criticism of MLS' attempt to limit its first-team involvement in the Open Cup
- Executive producer describes what it's like to capture Messi's life on film.
- Squabbles with China aside, Inter Miami's preparations to capitalize on Messi's arrival are now paying off
- Plus, the staff makes a few bold predictions.
- On the night that Luis Suarez made his MLS debut, Miami got goals from Robert Taylor and Diego Gomez to take their first win of the 2024 season
- After a new deal for referees failed to be reached, Inter Miami and Real Salt Lake will start the new season with stand-in officials
- Will Inter Miami make the postseason? Is this the year Thiago Almada breaks the MLS transfer record?
- Dest, Tillman and Pepi speak to The Athletic about their hopes for an unbeaten season at PSV – and featuring at the World Cup
- Former Leeds United head coach Jesse Marsch says he wants to manage in the Premier League again. The American has been without a job since being sacked as Leeds United head coach in February 2023. Despite being previously linked to Southampton and Leicester City, the 50-year-old has yet to take up a new managerial role since leaving Elland Road, but hopes to return to the top flight in the future. Speaking on Sky Sports, he said: “I love the Premier League and I love the power of what the league means globally, but honestly the true answer is I want […]
- When D.C. United opens its season on Saturday against the New England Revolution, it will do so with less fanfare than normal. Four of United’s officially-recognized supporters’ groups — District Ultras, Rose Room Collective, 202 Unique and Buzzard Point Social — are planning a four-match protest at the onset of United’s season in response to the club’s preseason visit to Saudi Arabia. A fifth, unsanctioned group, La Banda del Distrito, has also joined in. “D.C. United Supporter Groups will not be providing organized support for the first four matches in protest of the club’s…
- LAFC faced off against the Seattle Sounders in their MLS season opener! Check out the top moments and highlights here!
- LAFC midfielder Mateusz Bogusz scored a phenomenal goal against the Seattle Sounders.
- Timothy Tillman scored in 45' that gave the LAFC a 1-0 lead over the Seattle Sounders.
- Stan Bowles, the maverick soccer player who made five appearances for England and was a widely admired star in the 1970s, has died.
- Seattle Sounders' Nathan slid for a difficult save against LAFC.
- Here are the odds for Lionel Messi and Inter Miami's match against the five-time MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy on Sunday.
- Jaedyn Shaw scored a brace in the first half of the United States women's national team's 4-0 win over Argentina on Friday in the second CONCACAF W Gold Cup group stage match.
- Jenni Hermoso and Aitana Bonmatí helped Spain beat Netherlands 3-0 in the Women's Nations League semifinals on Friday, a victory that secured the world champions a spot in the Paris Olympics.
- Inter Miami completed the signing of midfielder Federico Redondo to a four-year contract on Friday, with a club option for the 2028 season.
- Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United will take part in a summer series, called "Rivals in Red," with games in the U.S.
- Thomas Tuchel, who will leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season, doesn't think he's the "only problem" at the club.
- Here's everything you need to know about watching MLS games including streaming and how to watch free.
- After not being named to the initial Gold Cup roster, Alex Morgan and Becky Sauerbrunn contributed to the USWNT's 5-0 win over the Dominican Republic on Tuesday.
- As much as the 2024 MLS season — Lionel Messi’s first full campaign following his arrival midway through last year — is all about the GOAT, there are plenty of other storylines to follow.
- Real Madrid's Toni Kroos has agreed to play for Germany for the 2024 Euro Championship after a request from coach Julian Nagelsmann.
- Check out the complete list of English Premier League winners dating back to 1888.
- Check out the complete list of MLS Cups winners dating back to 1996.
- Three of Europe's iconic soccer clubs — Liverpool, Barcelona and Bayern Munich — will all need a new coach at the end of the season.
- Gregg Berhalter joined the State of the Union Podcast to talk about Gio Reyna's early struggles with his new team, the issues with development at keeper lately and how he has grown as a coach since the USMNT's run in Qatar at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- In the opening match of the 2024 MLS season, Lionel Messi assisted on both Inter Miami goals in a 2-0 victory over Real Salt Lake.
Exploring the Rise of MLS Soccer in South Carolina
Major League Soccer (MLS) has captured the hearts of soccer enthusiasts across the United States, and the fervor for the beautiful game continues to spread to new territories. South Carolina, known for its rich history and diverse culture, has emerged as an unexpected yet promising frontier for MLS expansion. With passionate fans, a growing youth soccer scene, and a strategic push for soccer development, the state is making its mark on the American soccer landscape.
While South Carolina may not be the first state that comes to mind when thinking about soccer, the sport’s popularity has been on a steady rise. Historically dominated by American football and basketball, soccer is gaining ground, particularly in urban centers like Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia. The presence of numerous youth soccer clubs and the increasing participation rates among young players highlight the growing interest in the sport.
Charleston, a city known for its charm and cultural heritage, has played a pivotal role in nurturing soccer’s growth in the state. With the Charleston Battery, a professional soccer team founded in 1993, the city has maintained a soccer tradition that continues to inspire the local community. The Battery, which competes in the USL Championship, serves as a stepping stone for players aspiring to make it to higher levels of professional soccer, including MLS.
The allure of MLS soccer has not gone unnoticed in South Carolina. Over the years, there have been discussions and speculations about the potential for an MLS expansion team in the state. While no team has yet to call South Carolina home in the MLS, the interest and groundwork have been established.
Cities like Charlotte, North Carolina, have paved the way for regional soccer fervor. The success of Charlotte FC, a new expansion team, has demonstrated the Southeast’s appetite for professional soccer. This success inevitably has South Carolina fans wondering: could the state’s own MLS team be on the horizon?
One of the key factors in the rise of soccer in South Carolina is the emphasis on youth development. Numerous soccer academies and clubs have sprouted across the state, providing young players with access to top-tier coaching and facilities. These academies not only nurture talent for local teams but also contribute to the overall growth of soccer in the region. As MLS continues to focus on homegrown talent, these academies could serve as the breeding ground for future MLS stars hailing from South Carolina.
Perhaps the most critical element in the success of soccer in any region is the passionate support of its fans. Soccer fans in South Carolina have shown their dedication, turning up in droves for Charleston Battery matches and showing their love for international soccer events. This collective enthusiasm paves the way for a potential MLS team, as an engaged fan base is vital for establishing a strong and enduring soccer culture.
South Carolina’s journey into the world of MLS soccer is one marked by passion, perseverance, and promise. While the state may not yet have its own MLS team, the groundwork has been laid through youth development, community engagement, and the presence of lower-tier professional teams. As the popularity of soccer continues to rise in South Carolina and across the United States, it’s only a matter of time before the state takes its place on the MLS stage, adding its unique flavor to the ever-evolving tapestry of American soccer.